Over the last few years more people are becoming aware of energy saving. One of the most popular ways that almost everyone do was replacing their old standard light bulbs with eco -friendly new generation energy- saving light bulbs.
A recent study proves these energy- efficient bulbs are extremely toxic, according to a study conducted by researchers from the Fraunhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute for German’s Federal Environment Agency.
If these bulbs brake indoors these lights discharge 20 times the acceptable amount of mercury into the air.
Energy Efficient Light Bulbs Can Cause:
- Cluster headaches
- Inability to concentrate
Reasons to go back to incandescent bulbs.
These bulbs contain mercury.
This is a strong neurotoxin that is particularly risky and harmful to youngsters and pregnant ladies. It is particularly poisonous to the mind, the sensory system, the liver and the kidneys. It can likewise harm the cardiovascular, and disrupt the immune system. It can prompt tremors, nervousness, a sleeping disorder, memory loss, migraines, malignancy and Alzheimer’s .
These bulbs can also cause cancer.
Another study by Peter Braun at Berlin Germany’s Alab Laboratory discovered that these light bulbs contain poisonous carcinogens that could cause disease such as:
- Naphthalene, a volatile white crystalline compound, produced by the distillation of coal tar, used in mothballs and as a raw material for chemical manufacture.
- Styrene, an unsaturated liquid hydrocarbon, obtained as a petroleum byproduct.
- Phenol, a mildly acidic toxic white crystalline solid, obtained from coal tar and used in chemical manufacture.
These light bulbs pose serious health risks. Therefore, it would be wise to change back to regular incandescent bulbs.
In the event of a bulb breakage, due to the poison gas that is released, you should follow this emergency procedure:
- People and pets should leave the room.
- Open a window or door to the outdoor environment to air out the room for 5-10 minutes
- If you have a central forced air heating or air conditioning system, shut it off.
- Collect materials needed to clean up the broken bulb:
- Damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces)
- A glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.
- Stiff paper or cardboard
- Sticky tape
- Do not vacuum as it could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor, unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken.
- Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder, scoop up glass fragments and powder using stiff paper or cardboard.
- pick up any remaining small glass fragments and powder with a sticky tape, such as duct tape. Place the used tape in the glass jar or plastic bag.
Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.
If you found this article helpful then please SHARE this post with your friends and family on Facebook.