She Was Playing With Her Fidget Spinner When She Suddenly Couldn’t Breath. Then She Realized What Happened And Rushed To Hospital…

A post doing the rounds on Social Media has went viral with a young person ending up in hospital after swallowing a bearing from a Fidget Spinner

The post reads!

We had a pretty eventful Saturday.

On the way home from a fun swim meet, I heard Britton make an odd retching noise in the back seat as I was driving. Looking back in the mirror, I saw her face turning red and drool pouring from her mouth – she could utter noises but looked panicked so I immediately pulled over. She pointed to her throat saying she’d swallowed something, so I attempted Heimlich but there was no resistance. She said she’d put part of her fidget spinner in her mouth to clean it and somehow swallowed it.

Frantic, I went straight to urgent care where they checked her for choking. They couldn’t discern where the foreign object was located – along the airway or the esophagus. From there we got the red-light treatment via ambulance 🚑 to Texas Children’s Hospital. X-ray showed the spinner bushing lodged in her esophagus. The GI doctor was fascinated…he’d only just learned of fidget spinners that morning when he was at the mall with his son, so it was a surprise to be faced with one in a case a few hours later. He’s also an advocate for related child safety in toys, so he took a special interest in the case.

After multiple, very stressful attempts to place an IV, Britton was taken to surgery to endoscopically locate and remove the object. Fortunately we had a positive outcome, but it was pretty scary there for a while…not only because of the initial ingestion, but then the concern about the composition and structure of the object, and finally, the risk with general anesthesia.

From this I wish to offer some word of caution to parents. Fidget spinners are the current craze so they are widely distributed. Kids of all ages may be getting them, but not all spinners come with age-appropriate warnings. The bushings pop out easily, so if you have young kids (under 8 yr old) keep in mind that these present a potential choking hazard.

[Sidenote: I certainly wasn’t looking for an excuse to tour the brand newTexas Children’s Hospital The Woodlands but this was a pretty effective way. Staff was great and the facility is very nice…but a little quiet on Saturday afternoons.] “

 

1st (and hopefully last) lights and sirens ambulance ride.

Fidget spinner, minus 2 of its bushings. One is somewhere in the seats of my car, the other is somewhere in the GI of my 10 yr old.

Size comparison. Bushing is about 20 mm (esophagus is about 13 mm)

Can you spot the foreign object?

Let her take some selfies to keep her calm pre-op

credit: https://www.facebook.com/kkrjoniec/posts/10154608506232828?pnref=story

Please SHARE this with your friends and family so they know the dangers!

Load More Related Articles
Load More By admin
Load More In Life
Comments are closed.