At fifteen years of age Nickolas Conrad was having a sleepover with six of his friends.
During the night he awoke to a piercing burning sensation on his neck.
“It was the worst pain of my life,” Nickolas said
But what was this frightening sensation Nickolas, a 15 year old student from Arkansas, was experiencing?
“I felt this really bad burning on my neck and when I woke up and I started screaming and crying,” exclaimed Nickolas.
Well, it turned out it did not happen by chance and was no accident.
He had become the victim of a current internet challenge phenomenon called “Hot Water Challenge”. There were a couple of different variations at the time but none were safe.
The variation Nickolas’s friends(if thats what you would call them) used was to pour boiling water on his neck while he slept. And one can only imagine how that must of felt.
The young boy was rushed to hospital after suffering second and third degree burns from this so called “GAME”.
His friends claimed innocence saying they did not know the water was hot, but Nickolas does not believe them. Could you blame him?
“They’re not my friends anymore and they’re not going to be,” Nickolas said about the boys who tried the “challenge” on him.
Nickolas’s mother is appalled and disgusted by what happened to her son.
“I thought he had been in an accident and that it had been an accident. But when I found out it was deliberate, it’s so concerning,” she said, “Don’t ever say, ‘My child won’t do that,’ and educate them.”
According to sources, no charges have been filed against the adults who were asleep when the incident took place. They had no idea what was going on.
In August 2017, an 11-year-old girl named Jamoneisha Merritt got her face burned when her friends threw boiling water at her, and an eight-year-old girl in Florida died as a result of trying to drink boiling water on a dare. This is why schools throughout the United States and other countries are taking this online game seriously and educating children on the dangers of playing “The Hot Water Challenge”.
Watch a news report about Nickolas’ case here:
As educators of our children we need to put a stop to this immediately. Please SHARE this post so parents and teachers can educate children on the dangers involved with this game.