A boy of two choked to death after a lollipop came off its stick and became stuck in his throat.
Francis Dean began struggling for breath shortly after being given the lolly as a treat after his dinner.
His brother Michael, 13, frantically tried to help his younger brother by taking hold of the stick but the head of the lolly was lodged in his throat.
Tragic: Francis Dean seen here with one of the lollipops he was often given as a treat (This picture was released today by his parents)
Last night his parents, David and Dawn Dean, called for parents ofsmall children to be extra vigilant with lollies and urged makers toput bigger warnings on such sweets.
Two-year-old Francis choked to death on a lollipop
‘We’re absolutely devastated,’ said Mrs Dean. ‘He often had a treat – a lolly or ice cream – after his tea. His dad asked him what hewanted and he asked for “pop”.
‘It had been in his mouth less than 30 seconds when his brotherMichael saw he was in distress. He went to help and the stick came awayin his hand.’
Paramedics were called to the family house in Newton Heath, Manchester, but the toddler died before he reached hospital.
Mrs Dean, 39, a manager for First Choice holidays, was away on business when the tragedy happened.
‘It shouldn’t have come off the stick,’ she added. ‘Kids love sweetsand lollipops and this could have been any sweet given to any child.
‘We would urge the manufacturers to put warnings on each individuallolly or to make them smaller. I’d just say to other parents, you cannever be too cautious.’
The incident happened on the evening of November 1 after Francis had eaten his main meal.
The sweet was part of a pack called Lots of Lollies from SwizzelsMatlow. The pack carries a warning saying ‘Lollipops are a potentialchoking hazard. Not suitable for children under 36 months.’ But thewrapper on the individual lollipop does not carry a warning.
Yesterday the heartbroken family held a funeral for their son at All Saints Church, near their home.
Mrs Dean and her husband, an NHS gym instructor, paid tribute to their ‘baby’ who had celebrated his second birthday in July.
Francis choked on a sweet from a Swizzels Matlow’s ‘Lots of Lollies’ pack
She said: ‘We had two-and-a-half wonderful years with him. He wasfull of life. He liked football and had his own little cricket set toplay with his brother. They were very close.
‘He was a very, very happy chap. He loved nursery and had some wonderful friends who are devastated.’
Andrew Matlow, from Swizzels Matlow, said: ‘All at Swizzels Matlowwere devastated to hear of the tragic death of this baby boy.
‘We can only imagine the pain and anguish that the little boy’sparents are facing. As soon as we are furnished with more details wewill mount a full investigation.’
Please SHARE this with family and friends to they know the serious consequences that can happen if you give a child a lollipop unsupervised